Friday, April 24, 2009

Party night and passports

This morning we went out to eat breakfast. We went to the Botanic. My favorite place. It is a cafeteria and we can point at what we want. Masha helps us by telling us what some of it is.
After breakfast we walked to the flea market. Jeans and shoes for Troy, shoes and a skirt for Anna and we bought a volleyball for a teacher. Then to the food side of the flea market. We bought bannanas, cookies, candy and other fruit for their parties.
We went home to drop off some things and pick up the chips. Someone called and we were needed for the paperwork. We went to one office and picked up some papers. While we were working on this the taxi picked up Haley. We went to another office and someone did paperwork. Then to another office. The children had their pictures taken for their passports.
The taxi drove to the other side of town to take the worker home. We decided we were so close to McDonalds that we would eat there before going to the orphanage. By this time it was 5 and we had only had breakfast at 10. No lunch today...we were too busy.
The children kept asking if we would go and do their parties. I said yes. I also told them the sooner we did the paperwork the sooner they would get to go home.
We arrived at the orphanage and asked permission, again to do the parties. We then asked permission from Anna's teacher to do her party. We explained we planned to be there earlier but had to do paperwork. Anna passed our bananas, apples, cookies, candy and the others passed out chips and Sprite. After they finished drinking we passed out stickers and baloons. (I hate to blow up baloons after someone. I'll probably be sick. I blew up a lot after the kids tonight.) We know several of the children well, in her class. We had fun hitting the baloons to eachother for a long time. I would have 6 baloons coming at me at once. I hoped I would not accidentally hit someone while trying to hit them all back before they hit the floor. (It was good upper arm exercise.) Heather started playing and it made it much easier. We had a good time, Anna did too. She mentioned some children that were not in the same room. Anna, Masha and Rachel went to give them all the goodies while Heather and I stayed with her class. Masha had told Anna, when she was upset in the park from not getting something when we gave things to others, that she had better surprises at home. Tonight Anna told Masha she did not take their bananas and cookies because she had better surprises at home. I love it. She is learning to share and give. I really have such a heart to give to others. I want them to have this heart too. I don't want them to just think of themselves.
Earlier, as we were leaving the market we saw a homeless man sleeping on the bench. I asked Troy to take him some of our bananas. He was surprised at the request. He did obey. You could tell this man had nothing. He was so tired he was sleeping on a bench in the middle of the day. There are beggers on many corners in this country. Most are grandmotherly types. It is hard to pass them by. Amy is the one that I usually have take them money. She is small, loving and nonjudging. She has love in her eyes and joy to give to them. Some of my other children have different attitudes. I wish we all had the childlike loving attitude of Amy.
I digressed: After Anna's party we had a few minutes before Troy's party. We talked with some of the children. Rachel and Masha went to buy bananas and more cookies. We went up to his class and started the party. All my girls were passing out food. Troy just enjoyed being served and playing video games. We stayed in a room until his class had come to eat. We were invited into the girl's room. They told us about themselves. Two of them have been there for 11 years. I hope my face did not reveal the shock and sadness I felt for them. Music was talked about. I told them we listened to alot of Christian music. One said she did not used to believe in God but that she was starting to believe and pray. I encouraged her to read at least a little of her Bible every day. It was such fun to be with them. All of us had lots of questions and answers. They told me that they would really miss Troy. They said he was sweet and hugged them when they were down. I love that about him too. I know they will miss that. They had asked when we would leave, I said "when they kick us out". It was time. They wanted to lock the doors.
We walked home. Anna sat on my shoulders for awhile. She is so light, ok, not after a mile or two, but compared to others her age. Troy then carried her on his shoulders home. (Part of my tiredness is from carrying her so much. It is so worth is to be tired to have that bonding with her.)
We are now finished with most of the paperwork in this city. We will go to Kiev soon. Tomorrow we plan to go to Sumi to visit the children we will host this summer. We are all looking forward to seeing them.
Sunday we plan to visit the orphanage one last time. We will either leave Sunday or Monday for Kiev. We don't know when we will be home, yet. We will keep praying.
I am so thankful to my heavenly Father for allowing our time to be done here. I truly believe this is what is best for my children, all of them. We look forward to seeing the children Sunday. I do not look forward to telling them bye. I had a harder time tonight than Anna did saying bye. She is ready to leave and be with us. We had a great time shopping with Anna and Troy today.
It will be good for them to have a little bit of normal in Kiev.