Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Green beans and dust?

Today was jacket weather. It surprises me the dust or sand storms that come all the sudden. Often we are walking and we hold our breaths or our mouths get filled with sand. Buses pass by and the dust flies. I did not expect so much sand to be here. Interesting.
We walked to the grocery store this morning. I spent more money today than ever. We tried to buy for a couple of days. We have bought so much here we had enough for a 10% discount. Lots of stickers. We probably were the first to get enough stickers for the discount! I don't see any other families walking around with 7 children. There are workers in the store to watch for stealing. Just about every grocery store we go to has them. I think these get a kick out of watching us shop. They have decided that we pay and are ok. There are lockers at the door to put your bags in before entering the store. I think Amy likes to bring a bag just to lock it and get the key. Some stores charge for this demanded service. Usually Ricky gets to hold the bags at these stores.
We have had a discount on the taxi service. We have called them 6 times and the 7th is free. They keep up with it for us. We have to call from the same number to get the 7th free. Those of you who know me know I think it's fun to get a deal. We usually surprise the drivers by tipping them. One kept telling me it was one copec and not grievna or one of the smallest coins and not the one in paper. Our taxi rides typically cost less than $1.50U.S. Tonight we went to the internot, took Vicki home and then to our home (big triangle) all for $23.70g, we gave him $25g and he was happy. Total trip $4.20 U.S.
More pictures for the kids today for passports. They were not thrilled about having to have them taken again. We are trying to find anything we can do that might help the process go quicker. So we are doing them now and not waiting till Kiev.
We were able to spend a little while at the internot with the other children today. We enjoyed spending time with the children we had met before. It was Masha, Rachel and I that were able to stay there. Reality is 7 of us is too many. They are ok with 3. It was a nice day. The older boys had a soccer game going. The younger children were playing outside on the playground. A few of the girls sang for us. It was great.
We were able to spend some time with both of the workers that we had met with our hosting program. It was good to see them and talk with them. One of them brought us Easter gifts. I have a woven basket, mother hen. She gave each of the 6 of us something. What a nice surprise. The other, from summer, is not feeling well, some serious health problems.
Toby Mac sings "When love is in the house the house is packed" well it was packed again today. We had Vicki, O and D over for dinner. We all packed in around the table all 13 of us!
Finally the grocery had in some frozen green beans. We don't see many greens here. I was thrilled. My 4 ate them without complaining. The new ones were testing the water a little with company. Showing off. So no desert for him. The littlest came back to eat a little later. I gave her the plate of food. She protested. I showed her the apple and cookies. She ate some of the food and then the apples and cookies. Being here you would understand. To me it was expected. For them they were surprised I had rules with company. I told Vicki if they were coming often I had to nip it early. Some things I don't try to tackle, yet. Other things, like skipping dinner and thinking you will eat desert only, I have to handle now. Many things we use the diversion tactic. The other adult usually takes them out or gets them away from whatever. I'm going to miss the other adult diversion. Masha is getting to know them pretty well to. She has decided not to translate, for the kids, unless it is important. She is trying to encourage them to listen and learn.
The boys played soccer outside. They had a good time. I think my 2 middle kids are getting homesick. Little pricessa is happy if she is with us. She does not care if we live here or at our other home. She just wants to stay with us. Love it.
The oldest could have stayed a little later here with Vicki, Ricky and the other kids. She chose to go back with the little one early. She wanted to talk with her friends. I was glas to see some of the little ones. We did get to say hello to a few. Serg is so sweet. He hold on to me forever. He just smiles and holds on. I love to see how they light up when we visit.
In Ukraine adults are called by 2 names. It is formal to show respect. It is a little confusing to me. My understanding is it is not their last name. It is their father's name with child of, included. My Ukrainian name is Hollie Dollie. One of the teachers did finally explain that was not my name. I laugh and they continue to call me it. It sounds more like Hah lee Dah lee. It has grown from one class to several now. It started with kids in jr. high age. So that is now my formal, fun Ukrainian name.
It's late. I need sleep?