Wednesday, April 22, 2009

All adoptions are different

We went to do paperwork this morning. We had to go to make copies. I needed to exchange money.
I had always wanted the 3 to go with us to their birth city. I had hoped to find their older sister there. They have said they did not want to go until last night and then asked to go with us. We called them this morning to confirm they still wanted to go with us. Yes.
We called a larger taxi, a van. We drove to the city where we needed to do paperwork. The driver found the office and we took the paperwork in to be done. A two hour wait. We ate lunch in the building. It was good. Simple Ukrainian food and cheap.
We all piled back in the van to go look for the town they lived in. 15 minutes later we were there. A few minutes after that we were at their father's fathers house. The door to the house was open. The gate was locked. We called out. No answer. We looked around. There were 2 people in the back yard working in the garden. We thought their grandfather was dead. He and his second wife were working in the garden. We talked a little. He offered to show us the home. I asked to see any pictures of the children. They showed us some and I took pictures of the pictures. They called to see where the other grandaughter was living.
We drove another few minutes. Stopped. There she was. I knew we were to try to find her. I never thought it would be so quick and easy. Many told us it would not be possible. I felt God saying to try. We talked a few minutes. Marina and Haley cried.
I wanted her to have the opportunity to tell her sister goodbye. We gave her our address. Haley cried for an hour or so. She now has a picture of her sister, mother, and father. Anna asked to go back and see her sister again. It was a shock for Marina to find out they had been adopted and were leaving for America. I am glad we went.
Marina is about 21. The children had heard that she went to the night clubs and dressed well. They were mad she had not come to see them. I told Haley I knew she was mad at her. I also told her it would be years before she would be back in Ukraine. This was her opportunity to say bye.
We went back to the city to sign and pick up the new birth certificates. Another step accomplished. Great joy to see the smiles on their faces.
Our driver was so touched by our story he gave us a discount on the fare. He was surprised we had children and were adopting 3. I was surprised by his generosity. We had met him a few weeks ago. We called for a taxi and a van came. Some were planning on walking back to the orphanage that night. We called them to all pile in. The charge was a little more but it was great for us to be all together. We told him we might need him for other trips. Nice van, nice man.
The children are here spending the night. They want to go back to visit their friends. So good night I must put them to bed.