Friday, May 15, 2009

Homeschool mom

Being a mom that schools 7 children at home is a tough job. We started at the beginning with the new 3. I felt God had told me to do this from the beginning. Starting 7, 14, and 15 in first grade. I know that God had me homeschool our other 4, in part for prep for these 3. I love sitting next to them in the school room and watching them do their work. What peace! What joy! Knowing that in my messy, crowded, school room I am right where God wants me to be!
After only a week of doing school with them my first impressions were confirmed, they lack much knowledge. One of my children was absent from school once every three days. Yes, that is right. Living at the orphanage they were absent from school that much. I'm thinking somebody should have pulled them out of bed and put them in the chair for school. I'm thinking that the tv and game systems should be locked up after 10. Staying up till midnight playing games is the reason they were too tired for school. (Yes, I lock ours up.) I'm thinking what about the poor kid I did not get to bring home. He is sleeping in class or in his room and not getting an education. My mind is blown at the labels they have for classes and the fact that they were not taught 2nd grade math. They missed division class altogether.
I'm glad they are here and have a future. I'm glad that as hard as it was, as expensive as it was and is, as much as we owe that we chose to obey God's call to rescue these children. I'm glad their ours.
My boys were doing art. My sweet, new son brought me a picture "Mama Hollie - I love you - My Moma" I love it. "My mama." Sweet music in my ears. That's one of those surprises you cherish. My boy is back to his U.S.A. self. Here he comes up and hugs me. I never know when he will come. He surprises me. I love it. He is so happy here. I know he complains about school and other things....but he is so happy here. I cant' take him too serious when he complains...he tends to smile through it. Peace.
The oldest sometimes writes on her school work "mom I love you."
God's simple blessings. These kids could care less about things....but they are greatful for love.