Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"My grace is sufficient..."

The ladies in leadership from Community Bible Study went to Gatlinburg for a retreat. We had a great time. Some of us thought that we would have a long quiet time. What silly thinking. I had hoped for clear words of wisdom from God. I'm not the only one. My friend heard what God said. But not what she wanted to hear. I heard a lesson I taught my children in first grade, simply obey. I was trying to get them to do their schoolwork. I was telling them to simply obey. God clearly told me to obey quickly. How convicting. I wanted them to learn what I apparently was not living. Well, I'm guilty again.
I've been asking God for Scripture. He's been giving it. Today's verses, just what I needed. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
I woke up early, spent time with my husband and then prayed. I told God I don't feel worthy to do what I feel Him calling me to do. Just so you know the adoption part is not the hard part for me. It is hosting other orphans in our home for a few weeks. Creating a nonprofit. Fully having to walk by faith. Tearing down even more of my walls and limits to obey God. Yielded to God takes on new meaning all the time. There is no comfort zone anymore.
My comfort zone was my husband, four children and our home. Well they are all going to be invaded and changed. Because God's plan is perfect, I trust in Him. We will all be better servants in the end.
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" 2 Corinthians 12:9. God's second verse of the day. I admit my weakness and He tells me He is powerful enough to do the job. So, God reminds me of that I've been trained. It amazes me to look back and know He has been preparing me for years. Things you may not know about me: Love camp work (counselor, leader, etc.), degree in Social Work, worked with the homeless and the needy, taught children how to read, volunteered at Sav A Life, Shelby (getting pledges, donations, speaking in churches, helped write the new by-laws). Like I said God's been preparing me for this for years. He gets the glory. I'm just a vessel that has to empty out myself - so God can use me. All these tasks accomplished add up to be what I need to know to do the new job. It gives me confidence in my God.
At 16 I felt God call me into missions. I was disappointed not to have a long period on the mission field. Just short trips. I know some have come to know Christ as their Lord and Savior. I always want more. There is one thing there will never be enough of, new Christians. Instead of jumping at the opportunity, I've said surely not me. I've given good reasons for it not to be me. And God said "My grace is sufficient for you".
God's timing is perfect. I don't know His details. I plan to be obedient and work toward the goal of hosting. I serve and awsome God. He says "Be doers of the word, and not hearers only." James 1:22 And then there is James 1:27 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." Oh to serve God, my Father, who "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." What more could I ask for.