Tuesday, April 1, 2008

THE BEGINNING

Why adopt?

Ephesians 2:10 We are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

We married 18 years ago. Ricky said he wanted a big family, 10 kids. I said I would have 4 and adopt 6. In our Montevallo home there was no room for more children.
God blessed us and we built a new home near family.
God brought Ukraine up to me over 10 times. He did it in different places and different ways. I didn't know why.

Summer 2007: Last summer a friend invited us to go to lake day with Ukraine orphans. I was in! Reach Orphans with Hope brings orphans to the U.S. for a cultural exchange. Last year they brought 3 groups of 12 children. Each group was to stay 2 weeks. We enjoyed being with them so much that we spent every chance we could with the orphans, for the next 5 weeks.
I want you to know I was ok with adoption. But my thinking was there are soo many here in the U.S. - Why adopt overseas? God changed my thinking.

There are 100,000 orphans in Ukraine. 1% chance of adoption. 10% chance they will kill themselves before they are 18. At age 16 most orphans are out of the orphanages. They have a very small chance of getting a job(27% chance). Most girls, (60%) end up doing what we parents would hate for our daughters to do, prostitution, to eat. 70% of the boys end up in crime.

So I got the message. God wants us to adopt from Ukraine. Wow!
Ok, I want my oldest to be the oldest and my youngest to be the youngest.
Another wall came down.
I met wonderful children this summer. How can one pick? So I asked others how they picked. "They just knew." "Fit in like always been there." No clear direction from God for us.
My son has been praying for a brother for years. So, we must adopt a boy.


Ukraine mission trip: I found out I had missed registration for the trip. If I turned in my paper work the next morning, with my deposit, I could go. 3 hours to find my passport that had been missing for a year. We had 2 houses and 2 house payments and little money. I called my mom. She offered deposit and assumed I was going. Praise God. I filled out the paperwork. Looked in a box and pulled out my passport. It was still valid. God provided - quickly.
I thought I would go to the poorest orphanage. They had a full team.
Kiev is a big city. We live in the country, big city kids would get bored here.
To Poltava: Thanks to all those who helped with my 4 children while I was gone. Thanks to those that donated money to get me there! You're all a blessing! You were an important part in God's plan.
A group of six went to the orphanage. We had a wonderful time. God filled me with such joy being there. I slept very little. Prayed alot. I didn't need an alarm clock, God woke me every morning. We met so many wonderful children. The staff at the orphanage was warm and kind. We were able to spend 2 days in the park. I think everyone would agree these were the best days.
I met the siblings of the children that came over the summer. I was surprised that so many had siblings. One had said to me "These are my brothers and sisters" referring to the other orphans. Some had said they had none.
The second day in the park was a Thursday. My heart lept watching two sisters. God had let me know who. Now it was my secret. The mission: to love all the orphans the same. Show no favortism. It was easy. God had filled me with love for all of them. (Now back home, my heart aches for them.)

I had discussed with my husband a one time adoption. That we would not go for just one but 2, 3, or 4. Now there were clearly 3. How could I leave so many behind? Why not the others?
The adoption agency says 3 max. Yes, it's a money thing. I've got the room for the 4th.

My husband has not met these girls. He is stepping in faith.

In Process: We are still waiting on our fingerprints to come back. We are working through Hague readings and questions. The social worker has been to our home. We wil do physicals soon, I think.

Ukraine does not allow preselection. We pray we are able to adopt whom we feel God led us to. They don't know we are trying.

Pray for: God's perfect timing in adoption. God's provision financially. Our family learning Ukrainian. What fundraising to do. God to be seen in us and through us as a family. A quick process. Favor with Ukrainian officials. Hosting orphans.